Nnamdi Kanu was granted bail by Justice Binta Nyako on health grounds on Tuesday, April 25 and while this brought celebration, there are possibilities he may soon be back in detention.
This is because he was given 11 conditions as part of the bail deal and if he flouts any of them, he would be rearrested.
The conditions are:
1. Mr. Kanu must not hold rallies
2. He must not grant interviews
3. He must not be in a crowd of more than 10 people
4. He must provide three sureties in the sum of N100 million each.
5. One of the sureties must be a senior highly placed person of Igbo extraction such as a senator
6. The second surety must be a highly respected Jewish leader since Mr. Kanu said his religion is Judaism
7. The third surety must be a highly respected person who owns landed property and is resident in Abuja
8. The IPOB leader must deposit his Nigerian passport
9. He must also deposit his British passport with the court
10. He must provide the court with reports on the progress of his health and treatment on a monthly basis.
11. The order for him to deposit his Nigerian and British passports also mean he cannot travel out of the country
Of all the conditions, the third one which stipulated that he must not be in a crowd of more than 10 people may be difficult to achieve as pointed out by Victoria Jumbo.
Taking another look at Nnamdi Kanu’s bail conditions:
1- He cannot be received in his village by more than 10 persons.
2- He cannot accept more than 10 visitors/sympathizers in his house.
3- He cannot queue in the bank, airport etc., because more than 10 persons would be standing in front and behind him.
4- He cannot attend any function, including church service. No thanksgiving service for his release.
5- He cannot board a commercial flight or bus that has more than 10 persons.
6- He cannot eat with more than 10 persons. He has to restructure his dining table.
7- Presently he has over 18 persons (Stewards, Security, Wife, Siblings and relatives) living with him. And they must not see him at the same time.
8- The doctor would probably visit him in his house for treatment. To avoid finding himself in the mist of 10 patients.