– Facts about Swiss watch manufacturer, Blancpain
– Learn about one of the oldest watch companies
Facts about Blancpain
Blancpain SA is a watch manufacturing company that has been in the business for more than two centuries now. The watch maker is into designing, manufacturing, distributions, as well as sales of luxury Swiss watches. A subsidiary of the Swatch Group, it is one of the most prestigious watch manufacturers in the world.
Unlike some other luxury watch makers, like Rolex, Patek Philippe or Omega, which are more easily recognized around the world, many people have never heard about Blancpain. This is because the Blancpain brand has maintained a privacy and exclusivity that keeps its patronage to a select few.
Here are 11 facts about Blancpain that will interest you:
1. Jehan-Jacques Blancpain founded the Blancpain brand in 1735 in Villeret, Switzerland.
2. Blancpain’s Fifty Fathom’s watch was also selected by the U. S Navy in the early 1970s for its operations.
3. The Fifty Fathoms was also worn by Jacques-Yves Cousteau, the French explorer and conservationist, in his award winning documentary film.
4. The family’s management of the firm ended in 1932. Berthe-Nellie, the only daughter of Frédéric-Emile Blancpain (great-grandson of Jehan-Jacques) sold the business two of her father’s staff.
5. In 1984, Blancpain launched the world’s smallest movement and in 1989, it launched the world’s thinnest movement.
6. Blancpain produces fewer than thirty watches per day. This pales in comparison to a large watchmaker like Rolex, which now produces about 2,000 watches per day.
7. Betty Flechter, who began working with the company at age sixteen , was one of the two employees who bought the business from Frédéric-Emile’s daughter. Consequently, in 1933, she became the first woman co-owner of a prestigious watch firm.
8. Blancpain is the creator of one of most complicated mechanical watches ever made, thst is, the Blancpain 1735 grande complication. With the production of just one piece per year, it is a limited edition of 30 pieces only.
9. Blancpain is an avid sponsor of Motorsport programs. The country have sponsored many of such programs including Blancpain Endurance Series, Blancpain GT Series and Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series.
10. Blancpain SA is 282 years old; by 2035, the company will be 300 years old.
11. Every Blancpain watch is made by a single watchmaker.