In a recent interview where she was questioned about Gender discrimination, MAVIN’s first lady, Tiwa Savage gave her opinion on the topic that has been raving for years now.
Speaking on the Midday show on The Beat 99.9FM with OAP Toolz, the singer stated that she and Tee Billz “are doing what they are doing privately and it should remain private” in a response to Toolz’s question on whether they are back together.
Speaking on gender discrimination in the society, she’s quoted:
It’s real. I’m not going to say I’m completely comfortable with it but it is what it is. You have to deal with it. If it means you have to work 10 times harder than your male counterparts, don’t complain about it, do what you have to do. We all celebrate people like Oprah and Mo Abudu and we don’t actually realise what they have to do to get to that point. They probably had to do 20 times than their male counterparts. Once you get there, you don’t complain about how you get there. So, whatever it is you have to do as a female, you just have to get it done.
I know I’ll (ruffle) a few feathers but I also don’t think men and women are equal, I don’t think that’s how God created us that way… especially in the household anyway. So I think as females when we realise that yeah we can be strong in our career, but when we are home we have to realise that the man is the head of the house.
Tiwa says a day she’ll never forget was the day she had her son after a 22-hour labour, adding that she has a lot of scars on her body to remind her.
According to her, she’s embracing her stretch marks, adding that if she were not in the entertainment industry, she wouldn’t have tried to lose weight. She also said she has a pouch and she isn’t going to do surgery to get rid of it.
She added that she has plans for her stretch marks, which is to paint them in different colours.
She lamented that women are being seen as wrong when issues arise in relationships whether they are right or wrong.
Other things she said were penned by Toolz:
- She came to the interview with no entourage, she even did her own make-up herself, before arriving; cutting costs.
- She does not have any extra cast doing her make-up and all. When the camera goes off, it’s just her and her son. No extras around…
- She is working on a song with Coldplay and he was very interested in African dances
- The structure of the industry abroad is different, she can record a song and it’s out the next day, on the internet, in Africa. But in the international market, it could take up to a year or two for the song to get out
- She doesn’t want her son to feel pressured to do music because that’s what she’s doing and he’s a little shy. If he’s dancing and he catches you watching him, he’d stop.
- She’d love for her son to be a ball player (basketball or soccer), so he can buy her a retirement home…
- Her most embarrassing day is the first day she had to perform at an event in Eko Hotel and her back zip broke and exposed her back/behind.
- If she were a guy, she would get away with a lot more. If she were a male artist, she wouldn’t have as much flack