A 60-year-old man, identified only as Monday, has been burnt to death after fire gutted his residence on Foundation Close, Opebi, in the Ikeja area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim had slept off while cooking and the food he was preparing on the gas cooker got burnt.
Fire reportedly engulfed the apartment, destroying property in the house.
Our correspondent gathered that efforts by officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the Lagos State Fire Service who responded to a distress call, prevented the fire from escalating.
It was learnt that the victim’s corpse was discovered after the fire was put out and was taken away by officials of the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit.
A source said, “When emergency workers arrived at the scene, they discovered that a residential apartment was involved. Investigation showed that the resident of the apartment slept off while cooking.”
A woman, said to be in her 70s, reportedly suffered shock and was treated by paramedics and discharged at the scene.
The acting Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Musbau, who confirmed the incident, said the cause had yet to be ascertained.
He said, “It happened around 01.48am and we got there at 01.53am on Saturday. The deceased was alone in the house. His cotenant was away when the fire engulfed the apartment.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, said the incident was not reported to the police, adding that the Ikeja Divisional Police Officer had sent men to the area.
He said, “The incident was not reported to us. But the DPO, Ikeja, has gone there to know what truly happened. As soon as he did, we will get back to you.”
In a related development, a motorist escaped death by a whisker on the Third Mainland Bridge on Sunday after her Honda Pilot gutted fire.
Officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASEMA and the state fire service were reported to have responded to the incident, which happened around 4pm.
A source said, “The female driver was speeding when other motorists called her attention to the fire emanating from the bonnet of the SUV. She parked and when she opened the bonnet, there was an explosion which affected her and some others who stopped to help. About 10 fire extinguishers were used to put out the flame before LASEMA officials and firefighters were invited. The owner of the vehicle was taken to a hospital for treatment.”
The General Manager of LASEMA, Adeshina Tiamiyu, confirmed the incident, adding that the area had been cordoned off.
He said, “On arrival at the incident scene, a Honda Pilot SUV Jeep was in flames. Investigation conducted at the scene confirmed the vehicle was being driven by an adult woman, who on noticing a spark from the hood, parked by the crash barrier, before the vehicle went up in flames. Several cans of portable fire extinguishers found suggested it went beyond their capacity to put it off. The agency’s fire team as well as the Lagos State Fire Service put off the fire.”
The Public Affairs Officer of LASTMA, Mr Mahmud Hassan, urged motorists to always ensure that their vehicles were in good condition before embarking on any journey.
He said the agency would continue to sensitise residents on safety consciousness to forestall avoidable accidents in the state.